On May 1, 1888, twenty-five Lancaster County citizens met at Lititz, Pennsylvania, for the purpose of organizing a Mutual Fire Insurance Company. The original name of the company was “The Agricultural Mutual Fire Company of Lancaster County.”
On May 22, 1888, these same citizens, dedicated to their heritage of Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, adopted By-Laws on the principles of thrift, integrity and full measure for value received. To the credit of the founders, many of these By-Laws have never been changed and are just as applicable today as they were over a century ago.
The Lititz Mutual Insurance Company, as it is known today, is proud of its agricultural origin and background. From these hardy and prudent principles came the foundation upon which has been built one of the leading mutual insurance companies in Pennsylvania. In terms of policyholders surplus, the company is among the largest mutual insurers in America.